Sunday, December 02, 2012

shadow of a girl

It's been cool and raining off and on all day ~ the clouds threatening above as the dogs walked me quickly around the block. I have to admit, this is my kind of weather. I'm just a dark and rainy day kinda girl. It makes me cheerful.

It's been ages since I've had the time to enjoy the better part of a Sunday just playing in paint. I used to love such days when my husband was around, laughing, critiquing, always encouraging. Now it seems there are constant chores and responsibilities to be dealt with, the serenity of a quiet weekend all but lost. Too much quiet, too little serenity.

But recently I've been indulging in an occasional mixed media art class in old downtown Orange with the lovely and talented Erna van Dyk, who kindly guided me through this copy of her painting of a darkly elongated lady. As usual, I could not finish it by the end of a (generously extended) class; I am hoping to someday understand how to blend acrylic paints on canvas, as I seem to be horrible at it right now. One must work fairly quickly before the paints dry, and I can't even think as fast as paint dries. Too busy watching it, I guess. Fascinated.

Still, I worked on it today and, even though it is a lesser copy of someone else's art, I really like having my own 'shadow' of Erna's elegant lady. The slender figure seems to see something in the darkness, and I am grateful for her company on a quiet, rainy day. Serene at last.

3 comments:

Paul said...

If Russ were around, he would say that the lady in the painting is elegant, but not as elegant as you are. I don't know how I know this, but I do.

Gigi said...

If only it were true! But I appreciate the compliment. Thank you. ;-)

Robbie said...

Aw...she's beautiful Gi.

As far as the drying time on the acrylics, maybe you should give these a try: http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/color/open/index.php

They have a slower drying time than regular acrylics.

PS: Google wants me to prove I'm not a robot. And, thus far I have failed miserably.